Choose one of the following assertions and write a 200 word response supporting why you agree or disagree with it. When you are done posting your response, reply to at least one classmate in no fewer than 75 words.
- Gregor’s transformation highlights his isolation and alienation before his metamorphosis.
- Despite having become an insect, Gregor is more humane and sensitive than his family.
- If Gregor had been a stronger person, he would have been able to avoid all of the suffering and alienation he endures.
When you are done posting your response, reply to at least one classmate in no fewer than 75 words.
Your discussion post will be graded according to the following criteria:
- 80% – Thoughtful original post that develops a position about one of the prompts above (at least 200 words)
- 20% – Thoughtful response to a classmate’s post that comments on what they have said (at least 75 words)
Respond to this to this post from Student:
I agree with the assertion that even after Gregor’s transformation, he is more humane and sensitive than his family. After Gregor’s transformation he is left in isolation as his family can no longer communicate with him or relate to his insect form. This isolation allows Gregor the time to analyze the effect his new identity has on his loved ones. Gregor longs for his mother but also wishes to protect her from the horror that he has become. This demonstrates that even as an insect, Gregor is capable of more sensitivity than his human family. While Gregor spares his sister, who is his sole caretaker for much of the story, by hiding under a blanket, she nor his mother hide their shock when they catch a glimpse of his insect body. His father’s attempts to kill him by hurling an apple towards him are also further evidence of a lack of sensitivity from his family. Despite their lack of humanity, Gregor continues to think positively of his family and even sympathize with them. As Gregor is succumbing to his life ending injuries, he remembers his family fondly and does not hold any resentment towards them for the way they treated him. After his death, his family is informed by the cleaning woman that his body has been taken care of. In his father’s final demonstration of insensitivity, he dismisses the woman and shows no interest in what has been done with Gregor’s corpse.