In Module 07 we looked at Modernism in Europe. We learned about the Surrealist movement and how it was, in part, inspired by the ideas of psychoanalysis explored by Sigmund Freud. Reviewing some of the supporting information and websites provided in M07 Learning Activities, write an essay exploring the questions below:
- Describe the Surrealist movement using your own words.
- In your opinion, how does Freud’s studies impact the Surrealist art movement?
- Review the article on Surrealism in Latin America. Who were some of the prominent artists working in Latin America?
- Choose 3 surrealist works to review and critique. Be sure to include at least one work from a Latin American artist.
- How do Latin American works portray some of the characteristics of the Surrealist movement?
- What are some of the striking differences, if any, within these works?
- Does the difference in location and culture impact how the style is being depicted?
- Your essay must be at least 3 pages long.
- You must use a word processing program (such as MS Word) to write your essay.
- Provide three (3) sources
- Wikipedia and other non-academic websites will not be accepted for this criteria.
- Acceptable sources may be located from the following:
- the textbook
- Academic and scholarly journals
- Museum websites – such as those linked on this page: Artcyclopedia: US Museum List (Links to an external site.)
The sources above are merely suggestions of where credible sources could be found, and should not be mistaken as always acceptable. Please use proper academic discretion to determine if your source is appropriate. If you have any questions regarding this, please review this website: Purdue Writing Lab (Links to an external site.) or speak with your local librarian.
- Cite academic articles, books, or other research at sources of your conclusions.
- Citations may be written in MLA style.
- In-text citations and a full resource(s) citation must be included.
- See the citation resources in “Resources” area for information specific to art citations.
- Thoroughly address all aspects of the prompt.
- Use proper terminology as presented in the textbook.
- Plagiarism: Please review the syllabus statement regarding academic honesty and plagiarism.