ASSIGNMENT: For this essay, you will select one of the articles provided below and engage in a 2-3 page summary and response dialogue with the source. This will involve providing a detailed summary of the source’s argument and responding to that argument with your position based on the information provided in the source.
Article Option 1: “The Recess Debate: A Disjuncture between Educational Policy and Scientific Research” (https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1069008.pdf)
Article Option 2: “Sugar in School Breakfasts: A School District’s Perspective”
A. Assignment Guidelines
DIRECTIONS: Refer to the list below throughout the writing process. Do not submit your Touchstone until it meets these guidelines.
1. Article Summary
❒ Have you communicated the source’s purpose?❒ Have you included all of the source’s main points?❒ Have you restated the source’s argument in your own words?
2. Article Response
❒ Have you provided your perspective on the source’s argument?❒ Have you used specific examples from the source to illustrate why you either agree or disagree with the argument?
❒ Have you answered all reflection questions thoughtfully and included insights, observations, and/or examples in all responses?
❒ Are your answers included on a separate page below the main assignment?
B. Reflection Questions
DIRECTIONS: Below your assignment, include answers to all of the following reflection questions.
- What ideas originally came to mind when you first read through the article? Did your initial response to the article change after reading it for a second time? (3-4 sentences)
- How does paying attention to the way you respond to a source help you formulate your stance on a topic? (2-3 sentences)
The following requirements must be met for your submission to be graded:
- Composition must be 2-3 pages (approximately 500-750 words).
- Double-space the composition and use one-inch margins.
- Use a readable 12-point font.
- All writing must be appropriate for an academic context.
- Composition must be original and written for this assignment.
- Plagiarism of any kind is strictly prohibited.
- Submission must include your name, the name of the course, the date, and the title of your composition.
- Include all of the assignment components in a single file.
- Acceptable file formats include .doc, .docx, and .pdf.