NOVA: Japan’s Killer Quake Watching Guide
Instructions: Watch the film and fill out the answers to these questions. Submit the Word document (.doc, .docx) or PDF online via the BBL assignment. Working together is encouraged, but all answers must be in your own words. Plagiarism will be rewarded with a zero and potential reporting to the administration.
List the secondary hazards related to the earthquake:
1. Describe one concept, hazard, or result of tsunami that you didn’t know before watching the film (2-3 sentences).
2. Relative to Japan and the Pacific Ocean, where was the epicenter of the March 11 earthquake? (use cardinal directions)
3. The town of Miyako has 30-ft high seawalls to protect them from a tsunami. Why were these walls ineffective?
4. How did a saltwater lake form in the snowy mountain village of Kahoku, which is 8 kilometers from the coast?
5. Are there ways to protect coastal cities from tsunami resulting from a megathrust earthquake, or is it hopeless?